Spring has sprung (kind of)! Hopefully this is the last of the cold weather and we can start enjoying warm spring weather. This week, March 20th – 25th is National Poison Prevention Week. It is always important to know what can be toxic to your pet, so you can keep them out of harm’s way and know what to do if your pet does accidently ingest something toxic.
Foods/household items that are toxic to your pet
Everyone knows that chocolate is bad for you dog. However, most people may not know that it is dark chocolate and bakers chocolate that are the most dangerous. Your pup would need to eat a lot of milk chocolate to induce a vet visit.
Raisins and grapes can be toxic to your dog and cause kidney failure.
Your dog also should not be eating macadamia nuts, garlic, onions, avocado and yeast-based dough.
Common toiletries you keep in your medicine cabinets like, Advil, Ibuprofen, Motrin and Aleve can be harmful to your pets and cause kidney failure.
Try to keep batteries out of reach. Some dogs love to chew anything they can get their teeth on and a chewed battery can cause a serious chemical burn.
Always keep alcohol away from your pets. In serious cases alcohol can cause your pet to go into a coma or even die.
Double check what type of lawn fertilizers you are using. There are a few pet friendly fertilizer options you can choose from.
These are just a few household toxins to keep an eye out for. If you think your pet might have eaten something poisonous, call your vet right away. Remember to keep your pet safe this week and every week!