Volunteer From Home Guide
1. Make An Enrichment Feeder
2. Make Enrichment Toys
3. Wooftrax – Support Adopt-A-Dog While Walking Your Dog
4. Use Nextdoor To Spread Awareness Of Adopt-A-Dog In Your Neighborhood
How To Make An Enrichment Toy Using A Kong
First things first – you need to have a Kong! Let us know ahead of time that this is an activity that you’d like to participate in – you can send us an email, and we will be back in touch with you to let you know the best time to stop by the shelter and pick up the Kong(s). We will leave them in a bin by the front door of the shelter. Also, if you would like to purchase Kongs for the shelter that would be great too! When you are finished, make sure you fully freeze the kongs, let us know you would like to drop them off and we will have a cooler waiting on the front steps to collect them.
Next, make sure that you have plenty of food items to stuff inside a KONG. Here are some simple one-ingredient stuffers to get you started:
- Peanut Butter — Smeared or Stuffed
- Canned Pumpkin — Smeared
- Canned Premium Dog Food — Smeared
- Cottage Cheese — Stuffed
- Ground meat, raw or cooked — Smeared or Stuffed
- Greek Yogurt — Stuffed
- Kibble — Capped with a thick paste (such as peanut butter) to keep it inside the Kong
The following diagram will give you an idea of how to go about filling the Kong. Click here to see more safe ingredients you can use.
- Make sure to cover both ends of the Kong with some sort of thick paste (such as peanut butter/cream cheese/canned dog food/etc. so that your layer(s) of ingredients don’t spill out.
- Once you have made your Kong, place it in the freezer and let it freeze solid – this helps the Kong last longer once we give it to one of the dogs at the shelter.
- Reusing drink holders make a great Kong holder during the stuffing and freezing stage. A coffee mug makes a great single Kong holder for stuffing as well.
How To Make Enrichment Toys
Enrichment toys are super fun to make; all you need is some fabric that you don’t need anymore. Using fabric is great, this way when a toy needs to be cleaned it can be put in the washing machine. The dogs at the shelter love to play with these toys and we are sure your dogs at home will love them too. If you are one of our junior volunteers, make sure to check with your parents before cutting up any fabric!
Check out these links below to create your dog toy
Wooftrax – Support Adopt-A-Dog While Walking Your Dog
WoofTrax is a simple, year-round fundraising app! It promotes healthy interaction between dogs and their owners and raises money every day to support the mission of the animal shelter of your choice. Every time you take your dog for a walk, log in to the app to make sure your walk is being counted.
Make sure to choose Adopt-A-Dog Inc. when you sign up!
Use The Nextdoor App To Spread Awareness Of Adoptable Dogs
Now more than ever, people use this app to keep in touch with neighbors. Spread the word about Adopt-A-Dog and the available dogs for foster and adoption by posting them on Nextdoor.
Share some of the adoptable dogs on Nextdoor! Put our website www.adoptadog.org on every post so people know who know where to look and who to contact if they are interested in Adopt-A-Dog programs.