What is the adoption fee?
- Puppies (up to 1 Year Old) - $550
- Young Adults (1 Year to 4 Years Old) - $475
- Adults (4 Years to 7 Years Old) - $400
- Seniors (Age 7 and Older) - $300
What is the adoption process?
The first step to adopting from Adopt-A-Dog is to find a friendly face (or faces!) on our website that you would like to meet. The next step is to fill out an adoption application online or in person. After you fill out our application, you will be contacted by our Adoptions Coordinator to set up an appointment within 24-48 hours regarding the dog(s) you would like to meet. The preferred method of meeting our adoptable dogs is through appointment, but we will facilitate walk-ins whenever possible.
When are we open for adoptions / visitors?
The shelter is open most days. An appointment is highly recommended to ensure that the dogs you want to meet are at the shelter and that we have available adoption staff to serve you. Certain weekends, especially in spring and fall, our events team is in full-force and the shelter may be closed to visitors as the adoptions team may be at an offsite adoption event; please see our Facebook page and/or our events page for a listing of where we will be!
Can we come see the dogs?
- We want to be sure that we find the best match for you in your search to adopt a dog, and have specially trained staff to ensure this happens. If one of these staff is not available, we will obtain your contact information for them to schedule a day and time for you to come to the shelter.
- Our shelter is not set up like a traditional shelter, and due to the way our buildings are structured, we do not have a walk-through adoptions area in our kennel. We like to speak with you first about the type of dog you are looking to adopt, and from there will bring dogs out for you to meet that may be the best fit.
- Many times, a dog or puppy you may be interested in meeting might be in a foster home, so scheduling an appointment is highly recommended to ensure the dog you are interested in meeting is available and at the shelter.
Do we have puppies?
The population of dogs we house is constantly changing, sometimes we do have puppies at the shelter.
Can I come play with the dogs?
Yes! We are always looking for new volunteers to join our team. We have many volunteer opportunities available to socialize and spend time with the dogs, for more information please visit our Volunteer Opportunities page.
I have items that I would like to donate; where do I bring them? Is there a particular time I should come by?
We always welcome donations to assist in the care of our dogs. Items can be brought to our shelter, located at 23 Cox Avenue, Armonk, NY 10504; typically, we have staff or greeters onsite from 10am-4pm, so feel free to ring the doorbell when you arrive. If you come during hours when we are not open, we have 2 clearly marked donation bins outside our front gates, or if the donations are oversized, please feel free to leave them on the front porch of the main building.
How many dogs do you have?
Our adoptable canine populations typically is in the 30-60 range and is generally spread out between dogs at the shelter and dogs in foster homes.
Where do the dogs come from?
We are a resource to the local community when rehoming a dog is necessary; we work with local municipal shelters as well as out of state shelters who need a place for their dogs to go when they reach maximum capacity at their shelters.